Tree Farmers use prescribed fire to improve habitat for wildlife, control unwanted vegetation and reduce debris on the forest floor that may fuel a wildfire.
This interactive site offered by N.C. State University allows you to become virtually immersed in a prescribed burn, learn why and how burns are conducted and hear from the landowners and resource professionals who use prescribed fire as a land management tool.
Learn about prescribed fire in the articles below.
- Benefits of Prescribed Burning
- Prescribed Burns Benefit Wildlife and Habitat
- Using Fire to Improve Wildlife Habitat
- Prescribed burns reduce tick populations
- Benefits of Prescribed Fire for Pest Control
- A Guide for Prescribed Fire in Southern Forests
- Technical Assistance for Longleaf Pine Management in the North Carolina Sandhills
- Spreadsheet of Longleaf Financial Assistance Programs for Private Landowners
- Prescribed Fire in the South
- Good Fire…Bad Fire
- Introduction to Prescribed Fire in Southern Ecosystems
- 21st Century Fire Ecology in the South
Before You Burn
- Prescribed Fire: What North Carolina Citizens Need to Know
- Current North Carolina Weather Conditions